2014 December: Whiskey Women
Pairing whiskey with food has become more popular today, especially with many of the new small batch whiskies on market. When choosing a snack food to go with the drink it’s interesting to think of the flavor notes of the particular whiskey. The following recipe combines several of those notes: smoky, salty and a subtle caramel sweetness with a hint of heat.
11/2 lb. good quality, thick sliced smoked bacon
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
Pinch of ground cayenne pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 400o Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
2. In a small bowl mix brown sugar with the syrup and cayenne.
3. Lay bacon slices on the pan and sprinkle evenly with the sugar mixture.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes until bacon appears done (it will be dark.)
5. Immediately remove slices to a rack or brown paper to drain. Caution: the slices will stick together as soon as they begin to cool.
6. When cool, break into small pieces and serve.